Stonebridge Bank was designed to take full advantage of the historic charm of the existing 1901 building structure. The original building was first used as a radiator factory and later as a livery stable. In 2005, Frich Development purchased and renovated the building to reposition it as a “boutique” office/retail structure in the revitalized Downtown East neighborhood of Minneapolis. Constructed of load bearing brick masonry and heavy timber framing, the owners of Stonebridge bank were interested in the robust character of the original structure and the open volume of the vaulted loft space.
Private offices are located on the west facing exterior wall for the management staff while the east side of the space is lined with open office work stations for associates. Several sustainable design approaches were taken in the creation of the Bank’s interior. Brick, salvaged from demolition activities when the building was remodeled was reused as an interior veneer material on the exterior shell and feature elements of the Bank. Recycled timbers and planks were also used to finish the vaulted ceiling, floors. The existing heavy timber and steel tie rod roof trusses were sandblasted and refinished. Left exposed, they function as key elements in defining the spaces north and south boundaries.